Environmental, Health and Safety Working Committee
The PAMA Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Committee serves the needs of the broader Photopolymer Additive Manufacturing Alliance by focusing on current and emerging issues involving the safe, legal and responsible use of photopolymer raw materials, technology and equipment in additive manufacturing applications. Oversight of these critical ‘components’ of the AM industrial space is essential to promote healthy, robust and sustainable growth of the technology while avoiding concerns related to human health and the environment.
This mission will be accomplished by communicating information most relevant to health, safety and the environment when it becomes available. As information is collected and shared, the principal goal of the Committee is to achieve a steady state of “self-regulation” wherein industry participants are open to suggestions and data which will guide best practices.
It is our goal to promote emerging PAM technology, foster innovation and avoid costly industry setbacks that may occur due to misunderstanding of regulations, and to review and scrutinize current practices in order to get broadest agreement on best practices.
Planned Committee tasks include
- Collection and dissemination of emerging data that will affect the labeling and classification of photopolymer raw materials, e.g., monomers, oligomers, photoinitiators, stabilizers and additives
- Discussion and clarification of current regulations insofar as they affect critical materials in different parts of the U.S. or global market
- Discussion of and/or crafting of guidelines for material use protocols, particularly for FDA and ‘home hobbyist’ applications outside of the industrial space
- Consideration of material testing that will promote acceptance of materials or to rebut poorly-conducted studies that bring unfair scrutiny of photopolymer raw materials
- Coordination with legal resources to promote and achieve industry goals where regulatory or non-governmental entities oppose or obstruct fair and legal commerce
Michael Gould – Ex-Officio Board Member
Chair of Environmental, Health and Safety Working Committee
Michael completed graduate studies in Polymer Science at The University of Akron in Akron, Ohio. Positions at The Dow Chemical Company and Ashland Specialty Chemical Company preceded his joining RAHN USA, a global supplier to the UV/EB industry, in April of 2008. Michael is currently Chairman of the RadTech North America EHS Committee and a RadTech Board member since 2017. He will assume the position of RadTech NA President in 2023.